Arsenious Sulphide sol
In this article, we have discussed step-by-step procedure to perform an experiment to prepare Arsenious Sulphide sol. Carefully read the content on this page to understand the aim, procedure and the materials required to perform the experiment. Try to perform the experiment and match your result with this.
The aim of this experiment – to prepare Arsenious Sulphide sol.
As 2 S 3 (Arsenious sulphide) is a lyophobic colloid. It is formed due to the hydrolysis of As 2 O 3 (Arsenious oxide) in boiled distilled water. Further H 2 S gas is passed through the solution. The reaction is as follows:
2As(OH) 3 + 3H 2 S → As 2 S 3 + 6H 2 O
The particles in Arsenious sulphide colloidal solution are surrounded by HS ions which are formed due to the dissociation of H 2 S. Sulphide ion layer is surrounded by H+ ions.
The apparatus and materials required for this experiment are as follows:
1. How to prepare arsenious oxide solution?
Ans: Mix 0.2 g of arsenious oxide in 100 mL of distilled water.
2. Why is it important to clean the apparatus used to prepare As 2 S 3 sol by steaming out process?
Ans: Arsenious Sulphide sol gets affected due to the presence of ionic impurities. Therefore, the apparatus is steam cleaned before the experiment.
3. Boil the mixture of Arsenious oxide solution and distilled for _______ minutes.
4. The particles in Arsenious sulphide colloidal solution are surrounded by ________.
5. The colour of the solution changes to _______.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.