Try to perform the experiment and match your result with this.
In this article, we have discussed step by step procedure to perform an experiment to prepare Aluminium hydroxide sol. Carefully read the content on this page to understand the aim, procedure and the materials required to perform the experiment. Try to perform the experiment and match your result with this.
The aim of this experiment – to prepare Aluminium hydroxide sol.
Aluminium hydroxide can form lyophobic sol. It is hydrophobic in nature and is obtained by hydrolysis of Aluminium chloride. The reaction is as follows:
The hydrochloric acid formed as a result of hydrolysis of AlCl 3 is removed by the method of dialysis as Al(OH) 3 sol gets affected in case of ionic impurities.
The apparatus and materials required for this experiment are as follows:
1. How to prepare 2% of Aluminium chloride solution?
Ans: Mix 2 g of Aluminium chloride in 100 mL of distilled water.
2. Why is it important to clean the apparatus by steaming out process?
Ans: Aluminium hydroxide sol gets affected due to the presence of ionic impurities. Therefore the apparatus is steam cleaned before performing the experiment.
3. Boil the mixture of Aluminium chloride solution and distilled water until it attains _______ colour.
4. Hydrolysis of Aluminium chloride results in ________.
5. What is the quantity of Aluminium chloride solution added to 100 mL distilled water?
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.