We often hear people say eat this and eat that, it has lots of vitamins…!
We often hear people say eat this and eat that, it has lots of vitamins…! What are vitamins exactly? Let’s explore interesting knowledge about vitamins and some MCQ on Vitamins in this article.
An organic molecule which is an essential micronutrient for an organism and is needed in small quantities for the appropriate functioning of its metabolism is called a Vitamin. It is obtained through the diet at proper quantities as it cannot be generally synthesized in the organism. Some species can synthesize Vitamin C but not by all. 13 different types of vitamins are known that include: Vitamin A (Retinol), vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), vitamin B6 (known as pyridoxine), vitamin B7 (biotin), vitamin B9 (folate or folic acid), vitamin B12 (cobalamins, vitamin C (known as ascorbic acid), vitamin D (calciferols), vitamin E (tocotrienols and tocopherols) and vitamin K (quinones).
Vitamins can be classified into two types:
Water-soluble vitamins: These vitamins can easily dissolve in water and are easily excreted from the body and therefore, more intake is required. In humans, 4 fat-soluble vitamins are found namely A, D, E, and K.
Fat-soluble vitamins: These are absorbed through the intestinal tract and lipids or fats will help for this process. In humans, 9 water soluble vitamins are known.
Compounds that inhibit the absorption/actions of vitamins. One of the examples include avidin present in raw egg whites as protein and it inhibits the biotin absorption.
Some Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ on Vitamins)
1. Short-term or Acute Vitamin A Poisoning is Caused Due to
2. Which is the Most Essential Nutrient Required for a Woman During Her Initial Stages of Pregnancy for the Prevention of Birth Defects?
3. The Highest Levels of Vitamin C is Present in Which of the Following?
4. Which of the Following Vitamins Aid in Blood Clotting?
5. Which Among the Following is the Leading Reason for Blindness in Children Worldwide?
6. Beriberi is Caused Due to the Deficiency of-
7. Who is Susceptible to Develop Scurvy (Vitamin C Deficiency)?
(c) A person with the eating disorder anorexia nervosa
8. Which of the Following Vitamins Function as Both a Visual Pigment as Well as a Hormone?
9. Which of the Following Nutrient Deficiencies Cause Megaloblastic Anaemia?
10. Which is a Fat-soluble Vitamin?
11. Deficiency of Niacin is Caused Due to the Deficiency of ————-?
12. Which of the Following is a Hormone Precursor Vitamin?
13. A component of the Coenzyme A is———–
14. Which is Another Name for Cobalamin?
15. Which is NOT TRUE about Ascorbic Acid?
(c) It’s involved in the hydroxylation of prolyl- and lysyl- residues of collagen
(d) An organism’s body can synthesise it
16. Which of the Following Vitamins Perform as a Coenzyme Function?
17. Best Source of Vitamin A is————-
18. Which of the Following is a Water-soluble Vitamin?
19. Deficiency of Which Vitamin Causes Increase in the Fragility of Red Blood Cells and Weakness in Muscles?
20. Scientific Name of Vitamin K is?
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.